Sunglasses

Sunglasses
Pretty Cool Glasses!

Wednesday 16 November 2011

6 Days in the Making

So, here I am to weigh two objects of my eye:

Deep down, every girl is in awe of two main figures in literary history. Horatio Hornblower (from the Horatio Hornblower book series by C.S. Forester and mini-series starring Ioan Gruffudd), and Strider/Eragorn (from the Lord of the Rings by J.R. Tolkein and starring Viggo Mortensen in the film trilogy).

I mean come on! Name me two other influential heroes in literary fiction. There is Mr. Darcy, but does he fight with guns and swords? No. I rest my case, but he does have that fabulously large estate named Pemberly!

My aim is to line up each of their pros and cons, to see which is more worthwhile.


*Horatio. #Strider
1. *Best friend is a freak who jumps overboard. #Best friend is a wizard
(I ask you, which on would you choose?)

2. *Commands a large ship and many men. #Paddles a canoe and leads small fairy people

3. *Travels by water. #Travels by land (oh right, and canoe)

4. *Uses math to solve his problems. #Uses a sword.

5. *As above, has a huge brain. #Has huge muscles
(Again, which one would you choose?)

6. *Is stalked by a tattooed-knuckled murderer. #Is tracked by Gollum
(I'll take the murderer)

7. *His girl gets killed. #His girl is waiting at home
(Obviously I would choose the lonely heart)

8. *Speaks the King's English. #Not quite sure whose English he speaks
(Excuse me, but the King's English is so sexy when used right!)

9. *Carries a sword and gun around. #Only carries a sword (but it's bigger)

10. *Great smile. #Great body
(Hmmm..........)


Much as both are very appealing for my literary fictional crush, I can only choose one, because to choose two would to be unfaithful to one or the other depending on who is my daily flavour.

On Horatio's side, he gets points for:
Commanding 500+ men
Traveling on water
Being a pro with math
Using his brain often
And speaking the King's English

On Strider's side, he gets points for:
Being besties with Gandalf
Being a pro with a canoe paddle
Having huge muscles from said canoe paddling
Using a bigger sword and using it oftener
Speaking something like a dialect of Gaelic (I think)


I know dreams with Strider as my official literary fictional crush would be so sweet, but I am going to have to choose Horatio as my OLFC. This is for all the above reasons, and plus, he doesn't have a Elven girlfriend to compete with.

I hope this has brought clarity to your thoughts on my OLFC, I know it has mine!

Let me know how your OLFC fairs with this system, I hope that you will clearly know who your OLFC for life is.

(Evil laugh), I didn't tell you about that part, did I?

-Sarah
Adult prodigy

No comments:

Post a Comment