Sunglasses

Sunglasses
Pretty Cool Glasses!

Monday 12 December 2011

Merry Not-Christmas

I have an awful thing to admit. You know those Christmas killers? The ones who don't buy presents, don't give presents, don't decorate, don't cook and they yell at people who sing Christmas carols in November?

I'm one of them.

Land of hope and mercy, that sounds like it needs to be in an AA meeting. Except it would be a CKA meeting, and the dialogue would be something like this:

"Hi, my name is Sarah-" "Hi Sarah." "-and I am a........ Oh, give me strength! A..... Christmas Killer.".

People consider us to be dangerous, and Scrooge-like. Now, those who know me personally know that I am not dangerous (I get beat-up more than anything else I might be), and I am not the 21st century Scrooge. It's just the stereotypical mold we have to break as tradition breakers.

Don't get me wrong, I might be a Christmas Killer, but I do like Christmas. I love to go to other people's houses, eat other people's food, get presents from other people, and etc. That sounds so selfish, but think about it, it's true for everybody, except that keener who either lives across the road from you (the one who gets another blow-up Christmas ornament or light-up reindeer every year year), or the one who sits at the same table as you for cooking class (the one who makes chocolate fondue with crushed candy-canes for every event and get-together in the holiday season). It is in our human nature to not to want to do any work. It's just that I am taking it a step farther.

Keep in mind that we will be celebrating the "reason for the season" (Jesus' birth), but not with the Christmas presents to each other. I will, though, be giving presents to a few of my friends, who are not related to me, and a few other mature family members.

I'm not going to give you the whole Christmas-is-a-farce scpiel. I just think that the toy market is a waste of time in the Christmas season, besides, who wants to stand 4 hours in line to get the latest imported plastic? I don't. There is something to be said for getting a hand knit pair of ear warmers or a scarf.

With that said, I wish you a very Happy Christmas and a great New Year!

-Sarah
CKA member

No comments:

Post a Comment