Sunglasses

Sunglasses
Pretty Cool Glasses!

Sunday 26 February 2012

Living in the World, But Not of It

A friend recently asked me the question: "For you, what does living in the world, but not of it, look like?". I have always been ready with an answer to her many questions, but this one stumped me.

I automatically knew that I would not be able to answer this question fast. I also could not answer this question directly.

For me, I don't know what living in the world but not of it looks like, because my view of my life differs when I look at myself when I am with different groups of friends.

When I am with my church friends, I feel very sheltered and unknowledgable of the world.

When I am with my home-schooled friends (of which I am one), I feel very worldly and knowledgeable.

Who am I?

When I am with my non-Christian friends at the barn or at work, I don't tell about how I woke up on Monday with a bruise the size of a softball on my hip and how I don't remember how I got it, because I was so drunk. I also don't swear a lot, gossip, or lie about other people.

Being different is what I strive to be. I don't want to lead an attractive life, for people to be attracted towards, I just want to lead a life that people look towards for guidance.

Leading a life like that means being transparent. Being transparent means not wondering what people want and trying to conform to their idea. It means doing what I know is right, without trying to figure out what other people think or want.

The hardest part of being different is trying to be the same person wherever you are. It means a consistency in truth.

That is what my life looks like as I try to live in the world, but not of it. I have no direct, complete answer for my friend's question, all I have is evidence of how I live my life. I think living my life to set an example to others is the most direct and complete way of answering the question: What does living in the world but not of it, look like?

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment