Sunglasses

Sunglasses
Pretty Cool Glasses!

Monday 13 February 2012

That's a Children's Song?????

At the barn where I work, the arena has a PA and stereo system. Sometimes, we play CDs on it for the kids as they ride. The favorite CD is called "Greatest Classic Kids Songs", or something like that. The content list includes songs like "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmit", "There's a Hole in My Bucket, Liza", "Where You Ever In Quebec" and classics along those lines. However, today, while listening to the CD, I heard the lines (not very clearly though, it's a huge arena), "You better kiss me or get out and swim.....". This is a children's song?!

Apparently.

I Googled it (I'm a Googler!!), and it is an actual song:

"Just a boy and a girl in a little canoe with the moon shining all around
He pushed his paddle so, you could hardly hear a sound!
And they talked and they talked, till the moon went in and he said
"You better kiss or get out and swim!"
So what do you do in a little canoe with the moon shining all around
Just a boy and a girl in a little canoe with the moon shining all around
He pushed his paddle so, you could hardly hear a sound!
And they talked and they talked till the moon went in and he said
"You better kiss me or get out and swim!"
So what do you do in a little canoe with the moon shining all a boats floatin' all a girls swimming all around!"

This a real honest to goodness children's song!

Another one I have known about longer is the Noah's Ark song. We all have sung it once or twice, preferably in Sunday School:

Abridged version:

3. The animals, they came on
they came on by twosies twosies
Animals, they came on
they came on by twosies twosies
Elephants and (clap)
kangaroozies roozies
Children of the Lord.

The animals they came off
They came off by threesies threesies
Animals they came off
They came off by three-sies threesies
Must have been those birds and beezies,
Children of the Lord

I had only been singing that for 14 years of my life before figuring out that I and been singing about the human reproductive system in church.

On another note, I am pretty sure (it's my hypothesis) that song writers try to brainwash children while they sing their songs. Hence the "Rueben and Rachel" song below.

"Reuben, Reuben, I've been thinking
What a fine world this would be
If the men were all transported
Far beyond the northern sea.

Oh, my goodness, gracious, Rachel,
What a strange world this would be
If the men were all transported
Far beyond the northern sea.

Reuben, Reuben, I've been thinking
What a great life girls would lead
If they had no men about them
None to tease them, none to heed.

Rachel, Rachel, I've been thinking
Life would be so easy then
What a lovely world this would be
If you'd leave it to the men.

Reuben, Reuben, stop your teasing
If you've any love for me
I was only just a-fooling
As I thought, of course, you'd see.

Rachel, if you'll not transport us
I will take you for my wife
And I'll split with you my money
Every pay day of my life!"

All I can say is that whoever wrote this (and it must have been a female) must have been really bitter about something that happened to her, concerning the opposite gender. Or PMSing while she wrote the song. It happens!

-Sarah
You better kiss me or get out and swim!

No comments:

Post a Comment