Sunglasses

Sunglasses
Pretty Cool Glasses!

Sunday 19 February 2012

MLSE Team Up Foundation Fund

Most of you may know this, others may not. On Monday afternoons, from 12.30pm - 6.45pm, I volunteer at CARD. CARD stands for "Community Association for Riding for the Disabled".

During my 6-1/4 hour block, I work with the riders, whose abilities range from mildly autistic, to having lost all control of their limbs in a car accident. I also walk the horses. When I walk the horses, my job is to control their speed, make sure they behave, and keep them calm. I also do a bit of work in the barn, turning the horses in and out of the paddocks, feeding them, and generally just hanging around.

This month, February, I was voted Volunteer of the Month. I have volunteered at CARD for 5 years. That is a long time to be working at one place. Sometimes the days feel really long, and other days they are surprisingly short.

Also this month, CARD has been participating in the MLSE Team Up Foundation Fund. The basic idea is that everyday, participants vote for their favorite charity to win the $50,000 grant. CARD's plan is to renovate their washroom facilities, to include a family washroom as well as to renovate their existing male and female washrooms.

My family has been voting for the past week, but even thought we are a big family, CARD needs all the help we can get! CARD is in 26th place right now. Tomorrow at 12pm, the voting closes. Before then, we need to get into the Top 20. After that, it is up to the judges to nominate the next winner(s).

You all can do me a huge favor and vote for CARD on the MLSE website here. It is very easy, and I know it would mean a lot to the staff at CARD. The Community Association for Riding for the Disabled (CARD) thumb nail and toggle is in the "View the Contestants" gallery, about the 2nd or 3rd row from the bottom.

I know it might feel awkward voting for something you had no idea about before today, but CARD would really benefit from your vote, and in a way, so would I and all the other volunteers.

Please let your friends know about this, and send the link to them. Please also let them know where the CARD toggle is, and that the voting ends at 12pm tomorrow, Monday, Feb. 20th.

For you who missed it, here is the link again:
http://www.mlseteamupfoundation.org/giving/team-up-foundation-fund/

I'm excited to see what tomorrow's tally shows! Thank you, all!

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment