Sunglasses

Sunglasses
Pretty Cool Glasses!

Sunday 6 March 2011

Scandelous Topics

What books are you reading?  Anything?  Nothing?  Is it looking like a iPad, but is really a book?  I know, you are too busy for books.  Me too, but I love reading, so I make time.  I'm not against iPads, in fact, I'd love to own one, but I feel you can only get the full experience from a honest-to-goodness, paper-in-the-middle book.

Right now, I am reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas.  It's the classic swashbuckling story, except that it is sad.  Nothing goes right for the hero.  But you have to read it yourself.  I would encourage buying it, not getting it from the library, because it is a good 3inches thick (I'm only 1inch in), but I'm already at my 1st renewal. 

The other book I am reading (yes, I know, 2 books at a time) is "The Edible Woman" but Margaret Atwood.  I don't know why I like it, but I do.  It something about descriptive books that I like, but not too descriptive.  If the sentence is something like, "Sally laughed a very high-pitched laugh, almost like a pig squealing, but mostly like a bell, but on the bright side of an air-horn," that is too descriptive, if you know what I mean.

Some other notable books I have read are:
Pride and Prejudice
The Scarlet Letter 
Shirley
Jane Eyre
Northanger Abbey
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
Frankenstein
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
City Boy

I really like English literature.  It is sometimes a really hard slog, like "Shirley" and "The Scarlet Letter" was, or it can be a really easy read, as "Pride and Prejudice" is.  Actually, all of Jane Austen's works are really easy to read, and quite interesting.  One of my dear friends, Julia, is blogging about reading Jane Austen right now, on "Reading Through Austen": http://readingthroughausten.blogspot.com/.   She comes up with some great points, worth the read.

"The Scarlet Letter" is so scandalous a topic, I'm surprised that it got past the censors (yes, there were censors back then).  Without giving away the topic, I''ll just say that it would make your grandmother turn over in her grave, it it happened to you.  Any details past that, you'll have to brave it yourself. 

"City Boy" is very interesting, as I am from a residential camp background.  I know the title isn't what you would expect from a book about camp, but it is a great read.  Very smooth, and it goes down very fast.

On a side note, I sound like I'm advertising a nice liquor:  "Very smooth, and it goes down very fast", "You'll have to brave it yourself,"and "I make time."  See what I mean?

-Sarah
Books, not iPads

2 comments:

  1. I read 'The Count of Monte Cristo' Early last year and loved it... Unfortunately I don't remember much because it's been about a year. It is slated for the reading list this year though (if I have time!)
    Of course, nothing is better than a book. But the great thing about an e-reader/iPad (or whatever else one may have) is that books are generally cheaper and instead of taking a suitcase full of books, you can grab your reader with like 300 some-odd books on it... rather handy :)
    Old classics are generally the best... only $o.99! :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah! Thanks for dropping the line for me! I appreciate it. I'm done S&S and moving on to P&P. I might have had enough of classical literature for a while, when I finish the project, but I am thinking that Agnes Grey by _____? Bronté and Middlemarch by George Eliot should be on the top of my list. Oh, and when i have the time, Dorian Grey, Udoplho and more than 7 chapters of Wuthering Heights. I can't get into that novel. Well, I can't wait to see you soon. Love, Julia

    ReplyDelete