Sunglasses

Sunglasses
Pretty Cool Glasses!

Friday 11 March 2011

A Stressful Job

I got a call from the Bayview Hill Pool on Tuesday, and I have been accepted on staff there!  Although I am only working Fridays from 4 - 7:30pm and the location wasn't what I had anticipated, or wanted, I have a job!  All the interviewing is done!  I still have a bit more training to go through, as in 4 more days of it, spread out over March and early April, but I'm in!  I never thought it would be so stressful while applying for a job!  I'm sure that McDonald's would have been easier, but flipping burgers has not the romance I was looking for.

When I say "romance", I mean adventure, not love.  This is interesting, because I think more in the "adventure/thrill" side of the word, than "love".  Interesting, isn't it?  I guess that's all my swashbuckling and English literature reading coming out!

Anyways, life-guarding is stressful.  I got my first taste of it at camp (Mini-Yo-We) where I work, and have been a camper for 9 years before, and let's just say I have a profound appreciation for the lifeguards that watched over me.  I was the "bad" camper, always pushing the limits, to see how much I could get away with.  Not anymore, for those of you wondering!

It is a stressful job, because you could be watching a bunch of swimmers, and first you count 13, then, after a lapse of time, you count 12, that is stressful.  Now, try this on for size:  You are taking a washroom break at the pool during lifeguarding, and you see a lady/man passed out in the shower.  You have no idea what they passed out from, only that they are on the floor, and you have no idea who they are, if they are with anyone, an if they have a previous illness or medication.  Now you have to administer treatment to him, while waiting for EMS, and filling out a victim/injury form.  All in a days work.  I am glad I work at a pool though, the lifeguards at Canada's Wonderland fish at least 30 people out per day.  A friend of mine at camp was hired there, and she declined, because of the stress.  I would only last a day. 

Anyway, ask me how I am in 2 months,

-Sarah
Saving peoples lives, all day, everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment